Google has brought the native offline feature to the new Gmail. The feature is disabled by default and works in Chrome 61 or higher version. You will need visit Settings and enable it on your account.
Enable Gmail Offline for your account:
- Ensure you’re using the new Gmail and sign into it
- Click on gear icon and select Settings
- Click on Offline tab and check Enable offline email.
Configure Gmail Offline Settings:
- The amount of storage space on your computer that is being used for offline email.
- Sync Settings allow you to set how many days of emails you want Gmail to store on your computer. By default, Google email service stores last 30 days of emails and attachments. You can set offline content storage duration to last 7 or 30 or 90 days.
- To reduce storage space/Gmail offline content on your computer, uncheck Download Attachments and set Storage Duration to 7 days.
- Select 'Remove offline data on my computer'. Data will need to be resynced to your computer when logging back into Gmail. It may take a few hours to resync the mailbox.
- After going through the above settings, click Save Changes.
Once these steps are completed, Gmail begins the syncing process as it downloads emails and attachments according to settings. When the syncing is complete, a Ready for Offline icon appears near the gear icon.
Note: For Offline capabilities to work correctly in Gmail, Google recommends users keep only one Gmail tab open in the browser.
Gmail Offline supported browsers:
The Offline feature in Gmail requires Chrome 61+. The feature may also work on Chromium based Vivaldi and Opera browsers. Other popular browsers such as Microsoft Edge, Firefox and Internet Explorer are unsupported.
When you try to turn on offline email for Gmail in an unsupported browser you’ll receive this message:
“The browser you are using is missing some features required to enable offline. To enable offline, you must use Chrome with version 61 or higher”.
How to disable Gmail offline and further delete data stored on your computer
- Sign into Gmail account
- Gear icon > Settings > Offline
- Uncheck ‘Enable offline Email’ and save the changes.