Locked yourself out of your Mac? No need to worry! The following instructions will walk you through resetting your password provided the machine isn't using FileVault to encrypt the hard drive. If the device is FileVault enrolled, see the article How to reset the password on a Mac that has FileVault enabled.
- Restart or power on the device.
- Press and hold [Command] + [R] and keep it held down while pressing the power button to turn the Mac on. Once you see the progress bar, you may let go of [Command] + [R].
- Once in Recovery Mode, click "Utilities" in the top menu bar followed by "Terminal."
- In the resulting Terminal window, enter the following command followed by the Return key.
- Click on "Forgot all passwords?"
- Click on the "Set Password" button tot he right of the desired account.
- Enter a new password, confirm it in the "Verify" box, and click "Set Password" button.
- Restart the Mac and login using the new password.
Please sign in to leave a comment.